Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Tuesday

With a very conflicted heart, I (Andrew) decided today to postpone my travels once again.  I woke up this morning feeling anxious about flying.  I was hoping to feel 100%, but instead the nervousness made it difficult to read my body.  I went for a walk outside to see how I would do and kept monitoring my health throughout the day, all the while praying for God to fill me with His peace.  Around lunch I started feeling more settled, but still was wondering if it would be wise to fly.  Just then, as I was praying for God to give me a clear-cut sign, my phone rang.  The doctor I had seen on Sunday was calling just to check in with me (I don't know many urgent care doctors that do that).  I asked her what she thought of me flying, and she strongly advised against it.  She affirmed that none of my tests looked troublesome, but seeing as I had had that episode she suggested I wait a full week before flying again.  In following up with Pastor Phil, we decided this would be the best thing for me and the team.  Thus I'm now stuck waiting until Saturday to travel, praying God helps me fully recover by then.

In the meantime, the team is doing very well.  In speaking with Jenny this afternoon, she says the teens are in good spirits and doing a good job being flexible--an important skill for missionaries to have.  This morning they spent some time painting the mission base where they are staying, and then went off to have lunch with the pastors they met yesterday, apparently developing a little bit of a friendship there.  They also got to go to the Panama Canal museum at the Miraflores locks which features an observation deck where you can watch the ships floating up and down.  Jenny says everyone has been diligent in writing in their journals, and I'm hoping that means they're keeping up with their devotionals too.  I'm also told Dan has been leading short reflections each day, thinking about worldview and God's plan for their lives. 

So even though the trip so far hasn't been what any of us expected, I am still confident God is at work.  At the very least we are learning to trust (and praise) Him even in the midst of difficult circumstances.  As it says in Proverbs, "The mind of man makes plans, but the Lord directs his steps."  He is sovereign and in control, and maybe one day He'll explain all of this to us.

Keep praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment